21 Jan The Advantages to Having Fun at Work, and Tips to Get There
Here at Jolly Llama, we love having fun and feeling jolly. (Duh…that’s why it’s in our name). But we know it’s not always easy to be jolly– especially if you have to work.
Work is….well, work. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who landed a job they actually are in love with (and love every aspect about it), you likely don’t look forward to going to work. Work can definitely be hard, but whoever said you can’t have fun doing hard things?
National Have Fun at Work Day is held every fourth Friday of January– meaning you’ve got just a few days to plan something epic for you and your coworkers this week. What’s not to love about this nationally-recognized day?
Employers know that unhappy workers are unproductive. On the contrary, happy employees are productive. Unfortunately, according to a Gallup Poll conducted in 2017, nearly 70% of Americans hate their jobs. This can prove to be a negative factor when it comes to productivity, internal theft, turnover, customer service, and absenteeism.
The American Worker
As of November 2018, there are almost 130 million people in the United States aged 16 and older who are employed full-time (working more than 35 hours a week). According to the Gallup Poll mentioned above, this would equate to roughly 91 million people who hate their job. Here are some other interesting facts:
- The same Gallup Poll states that 16 percent of American workers are “actively disengaged”, or they resent their jobs, complain about coworkers, and overall drag the office morale down.
- In 1900, only 6 percent of married women worked outside the home. Today, roughly 70% of mothers with children under 18 work, with over 75 percent of them being employed full-time.
- Most Americans work in the service sector (in particular Education and Health services) followed by Professional and Business Services, Retail Trade, Manufacturing, and Government.
- According to a 2014 census, nearly 15 million Americans are self-employed.
- Millennials account for the largest generation in the American workforce.
If you’re ready to jump in on the bandwagon and liven up your office, you’ve come to the right place. Because if there’s something we know how to do (and do well) it’s to have a jolly good time. After all, achieving happiness and balance is the Jolly Llama way.
Ways to Have Fun at Work
Below are several ways you can brighten the workforce environment and put a smile on your own face:
- Bring a treat to share. Who doesn’t love a surprise goodie? Jolly Llama’s Sorbet and Cream Pops make the perfect treat as they’re convenient, delicious, and won’t be busting anyone’s New Years weight loss resolutions. In addition, they cater well to people with intolerances or allergies since they’re gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. It’s a win-win-win situation.
- Bring humor to the office. Yes, we know you still need to be professional in a work environment, but you can also share a few funny stories or jokes, or pull a small prank (depending on how laid back your office is). Adding humor to the office has a lot of benefits — it can improve relationships with coworkers, increase creativity, and decrease burnout,
- Decorate your workspace. You don’t need to be Joanna Gaines to flip your workspace and enhance your mood at the office. Add some color or some pictures that bring you happiness. Many work environments are bleak, drab, and depressing. By adding some pizazz to it, you’ll feel more comfortable and energized. Most people who work full time spend more time in their offices than they do at their own home, so you may as well enjoy it and liven it up a bit!
- Play music. Studies show that playing music can greatly affect your mood by increasing your productivity and work ethic, and helping you feel more energized. It can also reduce stress, anxiety, and other negative feelings.
- Plan a party. Involve your coworkers and schedule a party or some other type of activity. Play on the company’s sports team, or host a small party in the office.
National Have Fun at Work Day is a great way to boost office morale, unite coworkers together, and encourage positivity overall. You’re sure to establish a happier work environment by celebrating the Jolly Llama way. And who knows? Maybe you’ll find that celebrating this one day will lead to more joyful days at the office. Having fun at work might now not only become a possibility, but also a priority.